This recipe of cheese sauce yields: 2 cups
- Grated cheese of your choice (mozzarella, cheddar): ½ cup
- Parmesan cheese: ¼ cup
- Butter: 1 tablespoon
- All-purpose flour: 2 tablespoons
- Milk: 1 cup
- Salt: to taste
- Pepper (white or black): to taste
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Heat a heavy saucepan on top of stove.
- Melt the butter in it.
- Stir in all-purpose flour and mix well so that the sauce is not gritty and powdery tasting.
- Take the pan off the heat and pour in milk; stirring until well blended and smooth.
- Return saucepan to heat and bring sauce to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, add shredded cheese and parmesan and cook until cheese melts.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy with chips, fries, steamed or baked vegetables, and boiled potatoes.
- Do not re-boil the cheese sauce or it will become stringy.
- For low-fat sauce: skip butter and use 1% low-fat milk.
- For a more cheesy sauce: reduce the amount of milk and double the cheese.